Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The First Day

Today is the first day that I am having the students blog. With the exception of a couple of students everyone seems to be getting the hang of it. So far there has only been one mildly inappropriate user name.

I am anxious to see what they have to say about the class. Hopefully, these will work as a reflection on the learning that has gone on.

In the last two days we have read Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut and There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury. Class discussion has range from the meaning of equality to the role of technology in our lives. I admitted to the class that I love the internet. Of course, as Bradbury points out, the internet probably does not have the same feelings for me. I freaked out the first day I walked into my summer school class and discovered that there was no computer. It is moments like this that remind me how much I rely on having the world at my fingertips.

Having the internet in the classroom has allowed me to become a much better teacher, but I rely on it so extensively I fear that on days that the server is down I may have to resort to students taking notes with a stylus and a clay tablet. Maybe some day all students will have there on tablet PC to alleviate this problem.

No comments: